Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Reading Analysis

“Many towns and cities, which are perceived as constituting single functional entities, are divided along the national and state borders, the degree of transboundary coordination and integration contingent upon the nature of political and power relations between the two sides.”

I found this interesting for a number of reasons. When I first read this it made me stop for a moment and think about all of the unnecessary boundaries, we as people create. And of course all of the boundaries that we need and ignore. For instance we can look at the European Union and see all of these diverse countries that are extremely distinct from one another and yet are lumped together within one name for the sake of their economies and money value. I don’t know if I think they join out of fear or for a genuine desire of community/safety. I have nothing against the EU but I find it an interesting concept, many unique places (with unique languages, cultures and education and completely capable alone) come together as one union.

And of course we can also always sit back and look at the borders that we don’t create for fear of being politically incorrect or creating new enemies…maybe that’s not clear. I think that we should stand by what we believe and never choose to go soft based of fear. I look at our recent relations with Cuba. Granted I have a special spot in my heart for Cuba but I still am 100% against their government. We choose to create a border between them and us in order to not associate with a country that doesn’t give freedom as a right to its people. And yet here in 2010 we find ourselves at a crossroad, we have more international enemies then friends and want to at least be friendly with our neighboring island, but what about all of our values of freedom and justice? That is a border that should remain not be taken down for reasons of PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment