Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Independent Project Outline

Natalia Valle

Independent Research Project

I am planning to explore the life of immigrants through Italian eyes. I want to know how an Irish immigrant feels stereotyped by Italians or if he doesn’t feel any stereotypes. I want to know if a Romania immigrant feels forced to work at the market because of his background or if that seems to be his only option. I would like to research if certain immigrant nations are looked down upon more then others. Lastly, I would like to see if language, skin color, accent etc plans a part in these stereotypes and which one is judged more. These are all things that I plan to look deep into through people I find and meet within the Esquilino Market.

Outline:

  • Interview Sean (Irish immigrant bartender) works in the Campo, fluent in English and Italian.
  • Interview a market vendor (Find out nation, how they feel integrated/stereotyped and what their impression of Italians are).
  • Interview a native Italian (Find out impression of immigration in Italy and/or immigrants in general vs English speaking immigrants).

No comments:

Post a Comment